[fabacad] Re: assening an address

  • From: Mohamed Ibrahim Quraish <royalibrahim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fabacad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 22:55:36 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

  I was getting the following error when I tried to compile the code in a
program <samp.c>.

  "samp.c", line 4: warning: volatile is a keyword in ANSI C
"samp.c", line 4: undefined symbol: volatile
"samp.c", line 4: syntax error before or at: unsigned
"samp.c", line 5: undefined symbol: address
"samp.c", line 6: cannot dereference non-pointer type
"samp.c", line 7: cannot dereference non-pointer type

  I am using SUN Solaris's "cc" compiler.

  Regards,
  Ibrahim

Saif Abrar <saif.abrar@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Dear Nayeem,
I suppose that you are trying to do the access using C.

In C, you can read/write to a hardware location as follows
volatile unsigned int* address;
int k;
address = 0xff00; //assing adrs value
*address = 5; //write to adrs
k = *address; //read from adrs

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Syed Saif Abrar
Philips Semiconductors / CTO / System Technology & Architecture
Philips Towers, # 1, Murphy Road, Ulsoor, Bangalore-8, India
Ph: +91-80-25579000, Extn: 1536
Fax: +91-80-25561243

fabacad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
mohammad uddin
in> [fabacad] assening an address
Classification
Sent by:
fabacad-bounce@freel
ists.org

04/10/2006 10:17 AM

Please respond to
fabacad@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Salamvalakum Saif Bhai,

I want to search a particular
character/number between some particular memory
locations How can I assign the harware location
i.e.., memory location to a variable. suppose I wann
check for number 2001 between ox00fff0 and ox00ffff
how can i do that, I am getting segmentation error if
I am assigning it to an variable.

Regards,

Nayeem.

Regards