[ezg] Re: Bio-floors

  • From: Monika Fiby <monika@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: ezg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 22:41:46 +0200

Hi Amy,

I am pretty sure that you are doing pioneering work with exploring and measuring parameters in bio-floors and would like to encourage the group to support this endeavour. I would go for humidity, temperature and pH in 10, 30, 50 and 70cm depth to begin with and specify the mulch (plant species, part and size - photo). Ideally, some people with functioning bio-floors can give input to this suggestion. If several people could measure these parameters in a settled, well-working bio-floor we would have a baseline for comparisons. I will be more than happy to compile measurement data and provide them on ZooLex by expanding this document:
https://zoolex.org/media/uploads/2020/09/03/20200514_fiby_bio-floor_recommendations.pdf

Kind regards,
Monika

--
Monika Fiby

Zoo Design and Consulting
Hackenbergweg 11/3, 1190 Vienna, Austria
https://zoolex.org/page/fiby
Phone: +43-1-3101060

ZooLex Zoo Design non-profit Organization
Manager and Chief Editor
https://zoolex.org

Am 20.07.21 um 02:32 schrieb Amy Robbins:

Hi everyone

If anyone uses specific instrumentation to measure various parameters of your bio-floor, I’d love to hear from you. For example, moisture, pH etc – what are you using to measure these please?

Also, can anyone comment on the suitability of Eucalyptus as a bio-floor material? Thanks in advance.

*Amy Robbins*

Deputy Curator, Mammals

Auckland Zoo

P:+64 27487 3914

www.aucklandzoo.co.nz

This email is confidential. If it is not intended for you please do not read, distribute or copy it or any attachments. Please notify the sender by return email and delete the original message and any attachments. We do not accept responsibility for any viruses or similar carried with our email, or any effects our email may have on the recipient computer system or network. Any views expressed in this email may be those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Auckland Zoo or Auckland Unlimited.