what is the protocol used?

  • From: "Jared Johnson" <JaredsJazz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 20:38:18 -0400

Hi All,

Can someone please tell me the protocol used in this scenario:

We have Exchange 5.5 SP3, with Outlook 2000, on a Win NT 4.0 SP6.

We are using RAS. Someone has a laptop, fully configured for remote dial in.

They bring their laptop home, dial-up to RAS server, and then open up and
use Outlook 2000 just
as if they were sitting here at work. Of course, doing it this way actually
fools the laptop into "thinking" it's located directly on our internal
network, so the user at home has the ability to use all domain resources as
normal.

Now, I've done a very small bit of research, and using Outlook 2000 in this
way, it seems that the protocol used is when dialed up to RAS, is: MAPI

Am I wrong in this? Can anyone shed further light on this? Thanks much,
Jared