RE: rpc over http

  • From: "Simon Butler" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 07:05:23 +0100

Setting up RPC over HTTPS makes no difference to the current users or
the way that your network currently operates. Until you are ready to
deploy the feature the users will not see any difference.

One server can act as the RPC over HTTPS server for both internal and
external clients. However if you don't want to change the client
configuration each time they come in to the office, use a generic name
for the certificate and name of the server (mail.domain.com or something
like that) and then configure split DNS.
Split DNS will allow you to resolve mail.domain.com to the internal IP
address on your network, while mail.domain.com will resolve to the
public IP address outside.
That will make it totally transparent to the users. I have deployed it
in the past where the first the users knew of it was when they got email
when they started Outlook before connecting to the VPN.

The only other suggestion I strongly recommend is to use a real
purchased certificate instead of a home grown certificate. While you can
do it with a self issued certificate, it causes more work and headaches,
whereas a cheap purchased certificate (rapidssl starterssl is perfect)
gets round a lot of the problems.

Simon.

--
Simon Butler