[ExchangeList] Re: relocating storage location

  • From: "Rick Boza" <rickb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 11:25:57 -0400

OK, so now things clarify.  You did exactly what George had speculated.

to answer your question, there's a great reason to have your transaction
logs on a different spindle (not just a drive).  Besides being a best
practice, the reason is for recovery purposes - the logs contain all
your data since your last backup.  In the event of a drive failure where
you lost your databases, with your last backup and transaction logs you
get back to where you were when the drive failure happened.

There are also potential performance reasons, but the number one reason
is recovery purposes.

Thanks for clarifying - your original description left me trying to
figure out what had happened, cause we just had a discussion on this
about two weeks ago on this list.