problems with pop3s - slow speed

  • From: "Harondel J. Sibble" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 00:29:21 -0800

Okay, on my exchange server, I have enabled pop3 access and turned on the
requirements for ssl and sasl etc, installed the appropriate ssl cert. I can
connect with outlook express, however the transfer is quite slow and seems to
hang:

Eg, I have 500 messages in my inbox, OE connects and in the first minute,
downloads 111, and sits there, after another 5-10 mintues it may download
another 5-10 message (no large attachments) and then sites there. I've not
seen how long it will sit there downloading as I usually cancel it after 10
minutes or so, it then sits at the "finishing current message" for at least
10 minutes until I cancel it again.

So OE seems to work, albeit really slowly, otoh Outlook 2000 on the same
machine with the EXACT same account settings can't find the mail server to
connect to.

    "The POP3 server name you specified cannot be found. Please check the name
    and try again.

Any ideas on either of these problems, googling so far has turned up nothing
useful.

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting