problems to connect to exchange server (pc->router->internet->router->server)

  • From: "Jan Andresen" <andresen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 17:38:37 +0100

Hi!

I have a problem and can't find a solution. I searched every FAQ to this
subject and have no idea, so all my hopes lie on you...

In the company we have an Exchange 5.5 Server. The company is connected to
the internet over broadband. I too have a broadband connection at home and I
used to use my Outlook 2000 at home to connect to my companies
Exchange-Server. My PC used to be connected directly to the broadband modem
and everything worked fine.

Now I  installed a router at home to share the connection with two PCs and I
can't connect with the Exchange-Server anymore. I configured the router to
forwarded every port to my pc. When I go into the setting of my Outlook 2000
I can enter the DNS name of the companies Exchange server and he seems to
find it because he changes the DNS name to the name of the exchange server.
e.g.: exchange.company.com is changed to ex01 and the name is underlined. He
also seems to verify the existence of my user name. But when I want to
connect and read my mail, it takes round about a minute and then I receive
an error message that he could not connect :(..

The only explanation I could think of and what changed since the
installation of the router is that my home pc now does not have a real
Internet-IP-Address anymore. Both the exchange-server and my PC have a
192.168.0.* address but in different networks. Does the communication
between outlook 2000 and exchange 5.5 use any special protocol which can't
be routed over IP ? So either that is the case or my Outlook 2000 submits my
HomePC-IP-Address to the server and he can't reach it anymore...

Do you have any idea, tips or recommendations?
Any help is very appreciated,

Jan