[ExchangeList] Re: offline-Defragmentation

  • From: Praveen Ramaswamy <ramaswamy_praveen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 23:58:09 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you all for your response!

In fact database maintenance is enabled and there are 1221 events, I did not search it properly.  To calculate the amount of space occupied by the users in a particular database I summed up each mailbox size and it is 8GB but the database is 28 GB.

This is a new cluster setup and I migrated user mailbox from old setup( old is also exchange 2003 SP2), hence I expected it do away with any white space. But the size of the database remains same. That is the reason I wanted to know if there are any tools to first check to see that database really requires offline defrag, this tool should run when the database is online.

Can I run ESUTIL space dump when database is online?? Is it recommended to do so? Will this help me in taking a decision ? Please advice.

Regards
Praveen R

"Ramanathan, Thiyagarajan" <thiyagarajan.ramanathan@xxxxxx> wrote:
Even u can plan for DB consolidation for eliminating the white space in the database. Procedure for doing this is as follows.
Move all the mailboxes to different store.
Dismount the store.
Rename the database to some other name.
Mount the store.
New database will get recreated.
Delete the old renamed database.
Move all the mailboxes back to the original store.

Regards,
R.Thiyagarajan