RE: mailbox backup

  • From: "Mohammed Tantawi" <mtantawi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:00:06 +0300

Dear All,

        I have some Problem regarding Backup for Exchange 2000.  ( I am still
Planning for Backup )

What I am planning to do is:-

Every Thu, after working hours take only off line backup . ( just only dismount
Data base and then copy it in to the Tap Backup and write on that Tap the date
which we take the backup on it . )

Then I will delete all of the Log Files, from the Hard disk.

Then I will mount the Data Base again, and the user will work normally.

Then in the next week on Thu, I will do the same steps for offline backup.

But regarding all of the previous Procedures I have some questions:-

1.      what will happen if I delete all of the Log files , is there any
Problem from it. I mean with off line backup, all of the log file will be
delete from the Hard disk and it will record it self in the Database while I am
dismount it ., so is there any Problem will happen . ??

2.      what will happen if  for Example , on Monday, I found that the Exchange
server completely destroyed, and need to be reinstall again , and I will run
restore again , what will happen to the E-mails which all of the users received
it in Sat, Sun, Mon, they will be unable to retrive it back again . is it true
? so what is the solution to avoid this Problem.

3.      is there any white paper for recovering  individual Mailbox for one
user.

4.      is there any problem will happen to me if I take the Data base ( which
I run off line backup ) & reinstall the Exchange on another server with
different Hardware specification and different Hardware Profile and run restore
off line to see the Data base will work normally or not , and test if I will be
able to receive E-mails from this Data base or not .

Best Regards,

Mohammed

  _____