[ExchangeList] Re: [isalist] off topic about commercial certificates

  • From: Chris Buechler <msexchange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 15:48:07 -0400

http://www.msexchange.org
-------------------------------------------------------Thomas W Shinder wrote:
The reason the expensive ones are expensive is because MS pre-populates the trusted CA list for those certs. The cheap ones are no better than ones you fry up yourself.

Not true. At least not with GoDaddy and probably at least some of the other cheap ones (I can only personally vouch for GoDaddy, as I have a few of their certs - I'm not related to the company in any way other than being a satisfied customer for several years).

Depends on exactly what device you're talking about, and how up to date your root certificates are. GoDaddy is in MS's trusted CA list if you've installed the latest root certificates update from Windows Update (I believe they were added in an update that came out in 2002 or so, it's been a while). Again, https://chrisbuechler.com - using a $20/year GoDaddy SSL cert. Recognized in every browser I've ever tried.

If I were running a widely used ecommerce site, I'd likely get a cert from one of the big, expensive guys just because you can pretty much guarantee every device in the world is going to recognize it as a trusted certificate - even if your visitors' machines are grossly outdated.

Cheers,
-Chris
List Archives: //www.freelists.org/archives/exchangelist/ MSExchange Newsletter: http://www.msexchange.org/pages/newsletter.asp MSExchange Articles and Tutorials: http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/ MSExchange Blogs: http://blogs.msexchange.org/ -------------------------------------------------------