[ExchangeList] Re: installing and additional exchange 2003 server

  • From: "Rick Boza" <rickb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:13:15 -0400

No /prepping is necessary unless you are putting it in a new domain.  If the server is failing, i strongly suggest installing one alongside in the current environment and get the mailbox move handled as quickly as possible.  Once that is complete you can worry about moving your topology around.

Don't forget replicating public folders.

Don't mix a troubleshooting installation ( i.e., disaster prevention) with a design project.  That's going to lead to nothing but pain.

There are steps to remove the first server in an org, but you can worry about that once you have the second server up and running.  See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822931 for the details.

Rick

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 12:08 PM, Patrick <london31uk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have just been told to migrate users away from a failing exchange server to another box. Juts wondering if anyone can point me to some solid documetaion on how to do this.

I intend to install a new exchange 2003 server into the existing organisation, once done, migrate the users, and at a later date take the old server offline.

This is somewhat blind to me, as i do not have full details of the site yet, but wondering if i will need to go through the same steps in setting up the first exchange server in the ORG. Will I have to run domain and forest prep.

 I think I have a deadline of Friday to have it all sorted, so need to start gathering as much infor as possible.

Thanks

Patrick

http://mail.yahoo.com