Re: i cant send and received email from hotmail

  • From: <Paul_Lemonidis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:31:22 +0100

Hi Robby

I may be on the wrong track here but I have seen this before and it turned out
to be a firewall issue. By selecting the send HELO instead of EHLO on the
advanced tab of the Internet Mail SMTP connector the problem went way. After
upgrading our firewall I was able to unselect this option and all is fine now.
EHLO is a later SMTP protocol than HELO and some older firewalls that interpret
and change SMTP traffic don't support it. Older mail servers cannot either. Why
this should  worry Hotmail more than anyone else I don't know as upgrading the
firewall here resolved the issue completely. I would have expected more
problems than just Hotmail although we did have a number of latency issues but
Hotmail was affected far more than anyone else unless I selected the option
mentioned above.

Hope that helps. Have a look at the articles below too.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoftcom:80/support/kb/articles/Q240/8/32.ASP&NoWebContent=1

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Configuring-SMTP-Connector.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241892&Product=exchange

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;818222&Product=exchange

I think this will resolve the issue. Good luck and let us all know how you get
on.

Regards,

Paul Lemonidis.