hosting own SMTP mail

  • From: "Dianne Wernars" <dianne.wernars@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:57:18 -0600

This is our setup:

We have a W2K DC with NAT behind the WAN router. I have setup Exchange
on a member server on the internal network. At present we were using
this for internal calendar sharing and threaded messages. Our email is
hosted by our ISP. Now I need to be able to share the calendar remotely
and I assume we will eventually host our own SMTP mail. So:
1.      If our domain name is xyz.com and the MX and A records point to
mail.xyz.com on the public DNS server ( this would be our ISP's mail
server); how could we run a real time pilot with our exchange server on
the same domain and still receive mail from our ISP hosted mail.
Obviously once the pilot Exchange works well and we have tested
bandwidth, we will eliminate the ISP mail server.
2.      Since our DC hosts NAT and points to our router's public
address, would the MX record in the public DNS for our Exchange server
also point to our router's public address? I have some trouble
understanding how to route the Exchange through the internet. Would it
be simpler to use a second network card in the Exchange server and
assign a public address to that?

Thks,

Dianne