RE: form based auth using kerberos ?

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:54:03 -0400

How about this: Setup a mock FE/BE scenario and run a network trace.

Keep in mind that regardless of the forms based vs. pop-up auth you use, the
only expected difference in the process is that your clients will be able to
cache credentials on the local workstation if they wanted.  Forms based auth
prevents that.

The authentication mechanisms you're after live in IIS, so that's the next
place to get to.  The choices it has are to locally auth, domain auth using
domain policy (either NTLM or Kerb), but because it's a member of the domain
already, Kerb would be expected to the Active Directory.  Not necessarily to
the BE server.

One other thing that may be helpful here: Tell us why you want kerberos auth
vs. any other?  What's the risk you're trying to mitigate here, because
there may be another way that doesn't take so much of your time.

If that fails to get the results you need, it might be worthwhile to open a
support call with Microsoft to have them research it and give you a
definitive answer.  I suspect that for your purposes, you'll still end up
testing it on the wire though :)

Al