RE: defragmentation on exchange 5.5 database

  • From: Dêniz Feital (Chiptek) <dfeital@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 12:24:16 -0300

        Hi there.

        Well, you shouldn't try to defrag your database using the network.
Known problems are related about it.

        You must do it using your own server. I know, I know, you probably
dont have room to do it. Try to check how much space your database is
actually using. I mean, it has 6GB for real, but inside the database, how
much it is using? May be less than 6Gb. This is the actual space that you
really need.

        For instance, if your database is 6Gb but its using 4Gb, you need
'only' 4Gb, may be a little bit more. Try to check the result for online
defragmentation, which occurs at night.

        You should even try do add a new hard disk, only to do the online
defragmentation. Always try to avoid to do the defrag over the network.

        Regards.