Re: blocking attachments and file extensions

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:47:34 -0500

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:49:10 -0500 (EST), A. M. Salim
<msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
>
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to block attachments of selected file types (e.g. .vbs,
> .mpg, .mov, .avi) in Exchange 2003?

Microsoft does not provide email attachment blocking natively with Exchange.

You will find lots of Exchange compatible anti-malware (malicious
software) systems here:

http://www.slipstick.com/addins/content_control.htm
http://www.vamsoft.com/orf/orfee_prodspec.asp

On most of my Exchange deployments we use a Fortinet Fortigate
firewall in combination with Postfix running on FreeBSD to remove
unessential email attachments and forbidden content, rather than
placing these responsibilities on our Exchange server or even worse,
our client systems. In fact, on my networks you cannot connect
directly to any Windows servers including Exchange from the Internet.

...D