[ExchangeList] Re: Would an extra GC server help? - exchange 2003

  • From: "Rick Boza" <rickb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 14:40:52 -0500

great point, though I don't think in this case there was any mention of Exchange being on the DC...?

At the end of the day, this conversation drifted into more of a 'what happens if we add the GC role to an additional DC' thread.

The original posting, as I go back and re-read it now, leads me to think that adding the GC probably solves nothing in this case.  The reason? Patrick, you mention you're having DNS problems.  I'd spend my time resolving that rather than adding GCs to the environment.  DNS is the root cause of more problems than, well, just about anything in E2Kx environments.  At least, in my experience, it is a big factor.

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Michael B. Smith <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is both true and not true.

In small environments it is common to see Exchange installed upon domain controllers (especially SBS and EBS and other small-number-of-server companies). While this is not a recommended configuration, it is supported.

In the case where Exchange is installed on a DC, that DC MUST be a GC; further, Exchange will ONLY use the AD services of that particular server – that is, there is no performance offloading or AD failover available.

For more information:

http://theessentialexchange.com/blogs/michael/archive/2008/03/29/exchange-server-2007-and-domain-controllers-a-summary.aspx

There is a link in that article to a similar article for Exchange 2003.

Regards,

Michael B. Smith, MCITP:SA,EMA/MCSE/Exchange MVP

My blog: http://TheEssentialExchange.com/blogs/michael