[ExchangeList] Re: Would an extra GC server help? - exchange 2003

  • From: "Andrew McHale" <Andrew.McHale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 11:19:48 -0000

Hi Patrick,

Directory mailing list with both MVP's and Microsoft Directory Services
designers subscribed) the more GC's the better, particularly in a small
environment like yours (which sounds spookily like mine).

You wouldn't want to have remote DC's as GC's due to the amount of data
to be replicated, but when the DC's are directly connected (via LAN) it
makes it quicker for Exchange to resolve things.

As far as I know you don't need to do anything on the Exchange server.
Just promote the other DC to GC and Exchange will find out via AD
replication.

I would advise you do some searching for past questions regarding
multiple GC's on the activedir.org web site rather than take what I have
said for gospel but this is what I have heard several times I believe.

Andrew