Virus protection strategy

  • From: Ryan Sabir <ryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 12:47:48 +1100

Hi all,

I'm currently setting up a Small Business Server 2003 to act as both
our Exchange server and a file server. I'm evaluating GFI MailSecurity
for checking viruses in email, and it seems to be doing a good job.

Now I also want to have a virus scanning tool that will check the file
system for viruses, there is about 40 GB of project related files
online that need to be scanned. From what I can tell the GFI products
don't scan files, only emails. We use Computer Associates' VET on our
desktops for virus scanning, but it doesn't seem to be ideal for use
on a server, as its interface for configuring what not to scan, e.g.
the Exchange store, is very cumbersome (think registry changes!).

What are people using these days for file level Virus checking, that
is also Exchange aware? Are there any products that work together with
the GFI products in terms of virus scanning?

thanks, bye!

Ryan Sabir
Newgency Pty Ltd
2a Broughton St