Re: Viable option for connection to Exchange from Outside

  • From: "Dominic" <emaildominic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 02:55:28 +0530

rpc over http is made for you.

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/outlookrpchttp.html

http://www.tacteam.net/isaserverorg/exchangekit/2003rpchttp/2003rpchttp.htm

http://www.winnetmag.com/MicrosoftExchangeOutlook/Article/ArticleID/40018/MicrosoftExchangeOutlook_40018.html

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/ex2k3rpc.mspx

----- Original Message ----- From: "Musser, Dale" <musser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2005 7:43 PM
Subject: [exchangelist] Viable option for connection to Exchange from Outside

http://www.MSExchange.org/

Hi,
We have a network with exchange 2003 server.
We also currently have a Cisco VPN.
We are upgrading our Manufacturing system to a new software package that
can only run thru Terminal Services for outside people.
Because of that we are looking at getting rid of the VPN and just use
Terminal Services for people to work with the manufacturing software and
transfer files between the network and their own workstation off site.
These same people do have offices in house so there is times when they
do connect directly to the network at their desk.

My question is what options do I have with Outlook?  They have to have
the ability to sync their mail, folders and calendar which they can do
currently with the VPN but when we shut it down because of terminal
services, then what?  I hate to have to keep a vpn running just so
people can sync their outlook with the exchange server.

I know pop3 will not solve this and the web outlook does not really help
because they want the ability to work in outlook offline and they when
they get to a hotel or such, they want to connect and do a sync and d/l
updates and u/l what they have done.

Anyone have any ides???

Dale