RE: Veritas and exchange

  • From: "Periyasamy, Raj" <Raj.Periyasamy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:08:45 -0400

Tom,
Yes, you can use BE 8.6 to backup Exchange. You will need the agents
though to backup the databases. Since you are running Exchange 2003, I
would suggest doing a disk to disk backup of your Exchange using
NTbackup, and then backup the NTbackup image file using BE8.6. This way,
you don't need the BE Exchange agents. This is the recommended backup
model suggested by Microsoft. There are a few articles in Microsoft KB
on how to optimize the NTbackup for best throughput for a scenario like
this. In my case, I use a 200GB USB drive for the disk to disk backups
of Exchange, and I get very good through puts.

HTH.
Regards,
Raj Periyasamy
Systems Administrator