Re: Using Exmerge to copy to PST

  • From: "A. M. Salim" <msalim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:49:39 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> Just wondering if its alright to use exmerge, basically just to copy
> everyone's mailbox to a PST, but also leaving it intact on the server
> (no change). The end result should be that nothing on the exchange
> server should have changed, and that I should then have a copy of
> everyone's mail in pst files.
>
> The Interactive mode if Exmerge confuses me, in that, there is no
> guidance in doing this. Is there a simple process in Exmerge for
> achieving what I want to do?

This sounds like a "brick level backup".  You can use ExMerge in command
line mode to do this.  You will need to do the following steps:

a) Create a file "Exmerge.ini" (or a filename of your choice in a folder
of your choice) which has all the ExMerge options pre-set.  Specifically
you will need to set the following.  The directories must exist.

LoggingLevel=3 (highest logging level in case of errors)
DataDirectoryName=E:\BACKUP\PSTFILES (where you want to put them)
MergeAction=0 (for export)
FileContainingListOfMailboxes=E:\BATCH\mailboxes.txt

For complete details of all options see the ExMerge manual.

b) Then you will need to create a file that lists all the mailboxes to
export named mailboxes.txt (as listed in the Exmerge.in file), with the DN
of each mailbox, one mailbox per line.  If you don;t know the DN, do a
trial export via the GUI and it wll create a mailboxes.txt file for you
and the syntax should then be obvious.

c) Run Exmerge from the command line:

exmerge -B -F E:\BATCH\ExMerge.ini

In test mode you can also specify the -D option so you can watch the
progress but once you are ready to add it to the scheduler then remove the
-D option.  Also in test mode be sure to thoroughly check all the log
files that are generated for any errors or warnings that might have
happened.

exmerge -B -D -F E:\BATCH\ExMerge.ini

d) Finally, create a batch file e.bat with the above command line, and
schedule it via the scheduler.

If you add or delete users and mailboxes, you will need to update the
mailboxes.txt file accordingly otherwise those new users won't get backed
up!

best regards
Mike