[ExchangeList] Re: Upgrading Exchange 2000 to 2003

  • From: "Carl Houseman" <c.houseman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:42:33 -0400

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822942

You cannot (it is unsupported) promote/demote a server which is already
running Exchange 2003 to/from a DC.

Beyond that, your future hardware plans are too vague to give specific
advice.

Your goal should be to run Exchange on a member server and leave Exchange
off the DC's, if they can afford to keep two servers running when it's all
done.  If they can afford to keep three servers running, then you should
have two DC's and one Exchange server.

And your next goal after that should be to have Windows 2003 SP2 on all
servers when finished.

Carl

  _____