Re: Upgrade Exchange 5.5

  • From: <paul_lemonidis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 11:58:10 +0100

Hi Ashraf

Have you set up your Active Directory (AD) yet? I would strongly recommend you
get your AD fully up and working before you even think about E2K. I know you
can install AD at the time you build the new E2K servers but you need to know
well in advance exactly what domain structure you want etc. Remember you cannot
install E2K without AD. When installing AD you will need to consider your other
apps. too. you may even want to consolidate or redesign your Domain structure
for example.

What I am really saying is that you need to plan out the whole scenario well in
advance and do it step by step in a very careful manner. Tracking down a
problem when done this way is possible. Trying to do the whole thing in a rush
is almost guaranteed to leave you with a structure for your AD you don't want
or with problems that will be extremely hard to identify their cause. As many
Microsoft Press books say "Plan, plan and when you have done that plan a bit
more!"

Make sure you have a fair understanding of AD before even attempting this task.
Read books, go on courses and\or build test labs.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Paul Lemonidis.