RE: UPGRADE HELP: Exchange 5.5 LDAP Port for i n pl ace upgrade 5.5 - 2 000.

  • From: Frank Wakelin <fwakelin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 12:42:53 -0800

Let me see if I can make this a little clearer.  What I am asking has to do
with the Exchange 5.5 LDAP service and the Windows 2000 AD (LDAP service)
when both AD and exchange 5.5 are installed on the same box.

1. When installing Exchange 5.5 onto a Windows 2000 DC you MUST change the
LDAP port from 389 to 390 because the AD uses the default LDAP port of 389.

2. When performing an in-place upgrade MS says that the upgrade process will
fail because the Exchange 2000 setup process will look for the Exchange 5.5
LDAP service on port 389.

3. Microsoft recommends that in this scenario you change the Exchange 5.5
LDAP port back to 389 and re-run the setup.

My question was: At the point you change the Exchange 5.5 LDAP port back to
389, the active directory is still using that port.  How can the Exchange
5.5 LDAP service be accessed on port 389 when that port is already in use by
the AD?

Has anyone done an in place upgrade of an exchange 5.5 server running on a
Windows 2000 Domain Controller?

Frank Wakelin - Network/Systems Engineer
Certified General Accountants Association of Canada
700 - 1188 West Georgia Street
Vancouver, British Columbia - Canada
Phone: (604) 605-5064 (direct) - FAX: (604) 689-5845