RE: Tracking mails--Author again :)

  • From: Rick Boza <rickb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 08:00:42 -0400

So ­ I get the idea that you want to have a response plan if one of these
hits ­ you should have such a plan.  But you¹re missing the boat if you
really think that pulling a single PC off the network is the plan you should
be using.  The whole idea behind the attack vector you are bringing up is
that by the time you have identified and pulled that one PC ­ twenty others
are already infected and doing the same thing.  You¹d need to assign one
tech to unplugging NICs.  Very poor efficiency in an enterprise environment.

As John has said, you handle this by proactively securing your back-end
systems, in cooperation with several other important steps.  Doing this
prevents a single (or ten, or fifty) rogue systems from taking down that
back end.  An ?approaches to AV¹ discussion can become a religious
experience, but the basic rule I like is multiple lines of defense (defense
in depth) that includes properly patched and secured systems at the borders,
on the back-end, and on the desktop.  (As an aside, in my experience most
religious fervor comes from the subject of placing an AV engine on Exchange
servers or not ­ personally I am in favor of having an Exchange AV engine in
place as it adds one more level of defense ­ and I¹ll leave it at that for
the moment)

The single line item you are discussing, while nominally useful, should be
around number 45 on your list of the top 100 things to do if a virus hits.
You need to build your desktop and server infrastructure in such a way that
a single infected system just, well, doesn¹t matter.