RE: SoBIG

  • From: "Frederic Giroux" <fgiroux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 12:25:47 -0400

Craig Weil said...

I run an Exchange 2000 server using Panda Antivirus and have applied all of the
latest patches to the machine.  All of my network machines also have Panda and
the latest virus definitions and Windows patches.  My server catches SoBig on a
regular basis (last count over 2800 incidences).  Lately I've been receiving
automated notifications from other organizations that my mail is undeliverable
due to the SoBig virus.  These are emails that I'm not even sending, and I
understand that this is the way SoBig operates, however I'm not sure how I
could be sending these emails given the scenario I first described (updates and
antivirus on all machines).  I've even tried running a SoBig.F removal tool and
have found nothing on any of my machines.  Anyone have some advice?

        SoBig spoofs email addresses.  So, the emails people are receiving seem
to come from your system but they don't.  Don't worry about it since there is
absolutely nothing you can do regarding this spoofing matter.

        Fred

______________________________
Frederic Giroux
LAN Administrator