RE: Slow exchange server accesss[Scanned]

  • From: Rick Boza <rickb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Exchange List <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:28:17 -0500

" What is access like using OWA ?"

This is an outstanding question.  Folks have been throwing out all sorts of
questions but first thing you need to figure out is if the problem is the
server, or the network.

So, how is access using OWA?

From a network perspective, where are the clients with respect to the
server?  Since you state that thy are 'not part of the domain' I wonder what
the network topology is like.

Is this the first server in your organization, or do you have others?  What
happens if you move a mailbox from the troubled server to a stable one?
Does  the client experience change?

What part of the access is slow?  Is it when first starting up and then
everything from the client is fine, or is the entire experience slow?  Is it
just when opening an attachment?  Only when looking at Free/Busy?  Just
Public Folder access?

Where are the GC's in relation to the server, and the clients?  OL2K by
default takes the GC nearest to the server IIRC, which means the issue could
be GC access.  There's a reg hack to change this if you think that's the
issue (though thinking about that, I believe that was fixed in one of the
service packs for Outlook 2000)

All of this info will help in troubleshooting a bit.  For example, it could
be something such as the order of the protocols that Outlook is using to get
to the server - I seem to recall in OL2K the default had SPX at the top of
the list, and if you HAD SPX on the network, though it would never let you
get to the server, it WOULD slow down everything for the client, as it
worked it's way down the list.

Anyhow, more information will help us give you a more targeted approach to
troubleshooting.

Rick