[ExchangeList] Sharing same SMTP address between two Exchange Org

  • From: "Irwan Hadi" <ihblist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 23:27:33 -0700

http://www.msexchange.org
-------------------------------------------------------We are going to migrate
our current Exchange 2003 Organization (first
org) to a different Exchange 2003 Organization (second org). First org
currently has around 300 users, and second org will have around 250
users (migrated from Lotus Notes in a few weeks). We will migrate
users from the first org to the second org after the 250 users have
been migrated from Notes.

First org currently has 1 front end, and 2 back end, while second org
current has 1 front end and 1 back end.
2 back end more servers will be aded to the second org, before we
remove first org forever.

The challenges now are:
- Both organizations will need to use the same primary email address (@corp.com)
- During migration, people in the first org will need to be able send
email to people in the second org, and vice versa.

What is the best solution to accomplish this? These are my thoughts.
Do you think this will work?:

At first org.
1. Setup an SMTP connector with address space @corp.com. One of the
backend server will be the bridghead. This SMTP Connector will smart
host email to the second org's backend server.
2. Set all Exchange servers at first org to forward non-existing
account to the second org's backend server.
3. Make sure there is no recipient filter at any of the servers that
will reject email sent to non-existent account.

At second org.
1. Put a recipient filter at the backend server to reject email sent
to non-existent account to prevent loop.
2. Setup an SMTP connector with address space @corp.com. The backend
server will be the bridghead. This SMTP connector will smart host
email to the first org's backend server.
3. Set the Exchange server to forward non-existing account to the
first org's backend server.

TIA