Secure OWA publishing

  • From: "Ruba Al Omari, Eng." <romari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 13:16:44 +0300

Hello all,

I have Exchange 2000 back end server, I recently installed Exchange 2003
as a front end server to be able to publish OWA, as my users are
currently using POP3 and IMAP clients from outside the organization.

When trying to publish the OWA as per the guide from Thomas Shinder from
the ISA site, I need an SSL , to get an SSL trial version it only works
for 40 bits and for a test server not a production server.

My question is:

-          Is the SSL and CA the only secure way to publish exchange
2000 OWA? Is this is the way other exchange administrators do it?

-          I have netscreen firewall (which we are publishing POP3
through) if I publish the http for the exchange as well from the
netscreen will that be secure enough? Without having to have the ISA and
the SSL?

Appreciate any help,

Many thanks,