RE: SMTP not working

  • From: "Michael B. Smith" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:08:24 -0500

Well, try it -

If you "telnet smtp.myduc.com 25" then the connection happens, but no
response is ever received. After a short while, the connection is
dropped. According to the SMTP protocol spec, the SMTP server connected
to is required to output an SMTP header...a 220 record.

Connect to a known working SMTP server...for example "telnet
maila.microsoft.com 25" and what you get is:

220 IGR-IMC-01.redmond.corp.microsoft.com <Inbound SMTP Virtual Server>
Thu, 29 Dec 2005 06:06:19 -0800

I am NOT an ISA person, but this implies to me that the ISA server is
listening on port 25, but is not forwarding port 25. So...I don't think
your publishing rule is correct.