RE: SMTP 25

  • From: Joe Kinne <JoeK@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 07:42:01 -0800

Well if you're able to telnet on the local net and get a response your MSX
server is receiving, when you try to telnet to it from an external (public)
IP address you said you get no response, try putting your PC on the external
side of your firewall (connect directly via crossover cable possibly) giving
it an IP address that is on the appropriate subnet, then try telneting to
the firewall's external address on port 25 and see what you get.  If that
isn't possible you can also change your firewall IP address to be on a
different Private IP address (10.0.0.1/24) put a machine on the new private
network  (10.0.0.2/24) and see if you can access the MSX server by telneting
to the firewall's new address (telnet 10.0.0.1 25) and see if you get a
proper response.   Your firewall would be your problem if you are still
unable to access.   I know nothing about your firewall system, but..does it
perform only NAT translation or is it setup to perform SMTP proxy functions
as well.  If it is a SMTP proxy service, you should check that as well.

You should probably check with your ISP to see if they are blocking SMTP
services at some point as well before you spend to much time trying to find
out what's wrong with your configuration.