[ExchangeList] Re: SAN Boot

  • From: Brajesh Ranjan Panda <brpanda23@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:59:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hey guys this seems to be interesting. Did  anybody have some cool documents relates to SAN for Exchange... Although I am very god in exchange didnt know much more regarding SAN storage system with Exchange... I mean i had worked but didnt setup a SAN by myself for exchange..so if there is any document or good link will be most appriciable.

Brajesh
brpanda23@xxxxxxxxx

Irwan Hadi <ihblist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://www.msexchange.org
-------------------------------------------------------I agree.

I just barely built our new Exchange server on a NetApp FAS270 SAN
with fibre channel (McData switch, Qlogic 2340 HBA), and everything
works very good.

The other benefits that I can see from boot from SAN are:
1. Easier to do disaster recovery.
When I snapshot the volume where the LUNs for the Exchange servers
located, I snapshot practically the entire server. In case our
Exchange server is stolen or destroyed, I can always redirect this
snapshot to a different server with similar specs and brand, and boot
the server.
From the server standpoint, it will think that power just went off,
(unclean shutdown) and Exchange should start doing soft-recovery.

2. Before I install Windows service pack, or anti-virus, new driver,
or some application on the server, I can snapshot the server. So, in
case the service pack, or program breaks something, I can always
restore the point of snapshot.
Granted this doesn't work with Active Directory, and that's why I
don't boot from SAN for our AD server, but this should work with
Exchange.
Of course one should test this first in a lab, but not everybody has a
lab they can play with.

On 4/11/06, Michael B. Smith wrote:

> Dunno your hardware configuration.
>

> Those points are somewhat valid, but replacing an HBA is no harder than
> replacing a NIC. How often do you do it? I don't think I've ever replaced an
> HBA (although I don't buy cheap ones, either) and if you are meshed, then
> that argument is COMPLETELY specious.
>

> Replacing a server is replacing a server. Easier with boot-from-LAN ?
> nothing to configure. J
>

> If you've got LUNs, then use them. Word. What on earth are you paying for?
> It to look pretty standing there?
>

> A valid argument from them would be something that would cause you: a)
> performance degradation, or b) downtime.
>

> SANs are for storage consolidation and performance improvement. Why pay the
> cost for a RAID controller plus at least two disks in the server to boot
> with, when you've got the space, capacity, and performance on the SAN?
>

> IMHO. YMMV.

Brajesh Ranjan Panda
Mobile : +91-9822912801, 9818725533

"Kafi hai sapne dil ko behlane ke liye, Mohabbat karlo dil ko dukhane ke liye. Chahe bhale pade gam se vasta, Ek dost rakhna sab gamo ko bhulane ke liye."

" Feelings of lonneliness, moments of caring, small small sharing, stupid fights, shoulders to cry, to be together in pain, creates a miracle called FRIENDSHIP & seriousness creates RELATIONSHIP. "