[ExchangeList] Re: Reverse DNS Look-up and Mail

  • From: "Jabber Wock" <jabberwock99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:43:14 -0400

Hi,

A rDNS is certainly important but I dread the day when RBLs start requiring MATCHING rDNS.  That would be a b-i-g problem for mailservers legitimately hosting email for multiple independent domains.  It is generally not possible to force an email server to send out emails from one virtual multi-homed IP or another, as that part is generally controlled by the TCP/IP stack in the operating system.  (Virtual multi-homed IPs not to be confused with dynamic IPs).

Best regards
JW

On 10/26/07, John T (lists) <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In this day and age of rampant spam and viri and smut and all manners of malicious activity, it is absolutely necessary that we keep our own servers/systems/networks/email clean with all I's dotted and all T's crossed so as to not add to the problems.

So yes, you HAVE to have proper MATCHING reverse DNS records set up for any IP address that is involved in the transmission of email.

John T