Re: Reverse DNS

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:44:09 -0500

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 08:14:42 -0700, Darren Haun <dhaun@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.MSExchange.org/
>
> How do you set up Reverse DNS on your Exchange Server to reject messages
> that don't correspond to the IP address/Reverse DNS entry.

This will depend on what version of Exchange you are running. However,
in Exchange 200x you will find a setting under your SMTP server
properties -> delivery -> advanced. Please do note that by activating
this setting the SMTP server will perform a RDNS lookup, but it will
not reject emails based on the results of the lookup.

> This tactic is usually used to block spam.

Good luck! :) There are many better tactics to combat spam.

How many mailboxes do you have? I am sure that we can come up with a
better solution for you, especially if you find yourself spending a
lot of time combating spam.

...D