Relocating Exchange DBs for 2000 Standard - for real

  • From: "Dan Klobnak" <dan.klobnak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 12:53:21 -0600

Should have changed the previous subject...

Here's the scenario...

Have Exchange 2000 Stand. Sp3 with post fix (believe August or sept 04?) (if
critical for this operation I will confirm) on a Win 2000 Server sp4 with all
critical updates (minus any released in last week or so). This server is also
DC.

Currently this server has Raid 5 scsi configuration (3 discs with one spare).
This physical comfig is divided into 2 partitions. I have the exchange
installed on D: with all the defaults as far as store and Db locations.

Have an issue regarding the 16 gig limitation, and opted to look into using
Public Folders as a way to expand, based on Amit's
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Public_Folders_Maximize_Exchange.html
article.

While I set up the infrastructure, and then worked on user training materials,
the max was reached. Fortunately, we were in a good position to get us back up
quickly, because all the work was done.

However, it appears, based on research, that I need to do an offline defrag
(installed since 2002, we have been relying solely on the inline defrag.),
using ESEUtil and ISInteg (from what I read, using ESE... without ISI -
particularly considering my DBs history - is not a good idea. I also read it
can be potentially very dangerous, considering how badly my DB may be...) So
any advice would be great. I believe I cannot create a second Storage Group, or
another Mailbox store within my existing Storage Group, within Exchange St to
test the effects of running those CLIs, correct? To do a test, I would need to
set up another sever?

But here is my main consideration right now: moving the DBs, and my first step
in whatever I end up doing.

Upon researching about the CLI's, I started looking hard at my current server's
hardware configuration, and decided I need to relocate my DBs for a number of
reasons:
- research shows it would be ideal to have my log/system files on one harddrive
(or array), and my DBs on another (similar to my SQL install of separatated mdf
and ldf files) for performance issues.
- free space. I noticed my current server has only 25% free space, which does
not give me enough real room to move items to Public Store, and then have the
110% free for any CLI ops. This will only be a growing issue.
- future growth. I anticipate we will move to Exchange Enterprise next year,
and I want to be prepared for more requirements.

I purchased 3 additional HDs for my current system. I will remove the spare
from my current RAID 5, and keep it handy. I will then create an additional
RAID 5 and partition. I will have 72 gigs available (although I found a handy
worksheet that may require me to return drives and up them if system will
support - I expect two more years on current server lifespan - at least as
AD/Exchange server role).

I want to move the DBs to this new partition.

I read:

and it seems straightforward enough. However the article addresses both the
location of the:
log and system file locations with First Storage Group properties
as well as the DB files for
Mailbox Store (and I imagine same applies to Public Store DBs with same
results).

My question:
Do I need to relocate the log and system files as well...

I think this article is presenting all options available, but I am not 100%
that they can be done independent of each other (and with a job like this, I
want to be 100%).

I want to simply move the location of the dbs of the mailbox store and Public
store.

Thank you for your insights and advice. Any gotchas not discussed in the above
tutorial would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Dan K.