RE: Relaying question

  • From: "Allen, Chris" <CAllen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:53:58 -0400

The firewall is, I believe, store and forward. It passes the internal IP
as the originator on all SMTP traffic. I believe this is due to Natting,
but shutting relay off to it did the trick as far as closing the open
relay. The bluestelnn gang is pounding us with several thousand relay
requests though in an attempt to find a user that they can authenticate
and use.  We have blocked their netblocks though and have stopped the
attack, but I want to be prepared for the next gang that tries it. I am
forcing password changes on everyone, enforcing stricter passwords and
possibly turning off the authenticated user override of the relay rule.
I am hoping this will work without breaking our processes, but I guess
only a test will tell. Thanks for the inputs.