Re: Relaying Problems - Exchange 2003

  • From: akk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:52:11 -0700

Thanks Deni.

Relayi9ng works perfectly when the users are logged into the domain.  Only
fails when users are using the SMTP server to send messages to users not
in our domain.

I was checking the "Relay Restrictions" from the "Default SMTP Virtual
Server Properties" --> "Access" tab and note that "Allow all computers
which successfully authenticate to relay, regardless of the list above"
and wondered, will the computers really authenticate when the user is
external to the domain?  Shouldn't relaying be based on user rather than
machine authentication?  So I figured that I'd disable this option and
specify users instead.  So I proceeded to make sure that Authenticated
users were allowed to relay.

However, for users who have their messages being forwarded to their
external accounts, senders started getting bounced message with the same
error message 5.7.1.  Which account does Exchange use to forward user
messages on their behalf?  In any case, wouldn't that account be under
authenticated users anyway?

These relaying shenanigans are driving me up the wall.  I'm about to start
forwarding all email to a Smarter Host as my users are starting to get
rather agitated and a quick solution seems far away.

Cheers,
Anthony.