RE: Relay Messaging

  • From: "Susan Tackett" <susan_tackett01@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 13:00:05 -0400

How can you track it down to find out who actually sent the EMAIL?

Susan

From: "Jeffrey Robillard" <jrobill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [exchangelist] RE: Relay Messaging
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 11:01:23 -0400

http://www.MSExchange.org/ - Re-Vamped!

yes I have seen this.. and mentioned it before on the exchange list.

sending mail from one internal user to another is not technically relaying. so, its possible for a person on the outside to send a message, using any standard internet mail package, to a user inside your network and have the from be another user inside your network. All it takes is for the person on the outside to know two valid internal email addresses.

For instance.

If I knew your email address.. which I can clearly see below... and I knew your bosses email address, then I could easily send a message to your boss saying he is a total jackass and make it look like it came from you.

I wouldn't call it so much a flaw as it is just a weakness.   Wouldnt
surprise me if other email systems also had this problem because
technically its not a relay.