Reinstall E2K servers

  • From: Lev Zdeněk <zdenek.lev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 11:06:02 +0200

Hello evr.
I want to reinstall E2K server in following environment. There is one domain
and one Exchange organization.

DC1 W2K active directory DC + E2K (PDC, RID, Schema master, Domain Naming
master) GC
DC2 W2K active directory DC + E2K (Infrastructure master) GC

Exchange has only one routing group. I want to reinstall server DC2 and DC1
AD and E2K are now function properly . I would like to use following scenario.

1. Move all FSMO roles to server DC1
2. Delete GC from DC2
3. Offline backup of databases on DC2
4. Unmount AD from server DC2 with dcpromo.
5. Install clear W2K server (DC2) with the same name ,SP fix etc.
7. Install AD with dcpromo.
6. Run install exchange with /disasterrecovery switch
7. Restore offline backup E2K

Afther that do the same on server DC1.

My intention is clear installation OS and E2Kon DC1 and DC2 with minimal
negativ impact to existing environment.
Is it correct method ?
THX