Real Life Restore Questions

  • From: "Spencer Read \(Nemesis\)" <ser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 10:23:55 -0000

Dear all,

First some history

August 2004 I moved companies and left the following system in pretty good order
Dell Poweredge 1400SC
Windows 2000 Server SP4
C partition Windows, D partition Exchange files and all user data
Exchange 2000 Server SP3
Isa 2000 SP1 and FP1
Active Directory, DNS etc on 1 box - yes Andrew, I know - Bad Idea :-)
At the time this is all the money givers would allow!

15 hours ago I got a call saying the system had gone down on Wednesday and the
new Guy couldn't get it running again!
He said he has got D drive backup, Exchange and System State using NTBackup

Since then I have

Powered it on to find someone had deleted all the partitions!
Recreated C and D partitions
Reloaded Windows 2000 and SP4
Restored System State Backup
Ran Repair on Windows 2000 due to BSOD (Boot device inaccessible I think!)
That got me to the stage of being able to see AD Users and internal DNS looks OK
Ran Exchange Disaster Recovery to reinstall program files.

Then comes the issue.

Exchange Services won't start to allow restore of backup.

I am currently downloading SP3 for exchange as my CD is at work and I am not!

Has anyone got any pointers as to what I've missed/done wrong?
It's worked before for me on other systems, but not this one!

TIA

...Spence