[ExchangeList] RPC over HTTP Exchange 2003 Question

  • From: "Tom Rogers" <trogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 15:16:49 -0400

I have an RPC over HTTP setup running but I have a question regarding
the config. I have read all of Microsoft's TechNet info on RPC over HTTP
but I cannot find this bit of information...

My Exchange 2003 SP-2 box is NOT a DC and therefore it is NOT a Global
Catalog server. My Global Catalog server is on a DC, on another physical
box.

What are the registry edits that I must have on the Exchange Box and the
DC/GC server? I want to verify I have them. I am planning to
decommission the original DC after I bring up a new DC/GC to replace the
aged hardware.

According to Microsoft, if my GC was on my Exchange Server, I put in the
following:

1.     On the RPC proxy server, start Registry Editor (Regedit).

2.     In the console tree, locate the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Rpc\RpcProxy

3.     In the details pane, right-click the ValidPorts subkey, and then
click Modify.

4.     In Edit String, in the Value data box, type the following
information:

ExchangeServer :6001-6002; ExchangeServerFQDN :6001-6002; ExchangeServer
:6004; ExchangeServerFQDN :6004

*   ExchangeServer is the NetBIOS name of your Exchange server.

*   ExchangeServerFQDN is the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of your
Exchange server. If the FQDN that is used to access the server from the
Internet differs from the internal FQDN, you must use the internal FQDN.

And then:

1.     On the RPC proxy server, start Registry Editor (Regedit).

2.     In the console tree, locate the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters

3.     Click Edit, click New, and then select Multi String Value.

4.     Create a multi-string value with the name NSPI interface protocol
sequences.

5.     Right-click the NSPI interface protocol sequences multi-string
value, and then click Modify.

6.     In the Value data field, enter ncacn_http:6004.

7.     In Registry Editor, click File, and then click Exit to save your
settings.

8.     You must now restart your server for the settings to be applied.

But this info seems to be for the Exchange box being the same as the GC
box. Microsoft said if I have one of the following 2 scenarios, I can
setup RPC over HTTP:

*         "You have one of the following scenarios:

*         The back-end role and the global catalog role are applied on
separate servers.

*         The back-end role and the global catalog role are applied on
the same server.

I have the first scenario, and it currently works, but I just want to
verify what I need in the Registry on the Exchange box and on the
separate DC/GC box. This was never documented when it was first setup.

Thanx,

Tom Rogers
Systems Administrator
Schneider Packaging Equipment

________________________________

intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom they are addressed.If you have received this email in
error please notify the system manager.
the individual named. If you are not the
named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this
e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately
by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this
e-mail from your system. If you are not the
intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying,
distributing or taking any action in reliance on the
contents of this information is strictly prohibited.