RE: RAID in Exchange

  • From: "Andrea Coppini" <andreacoppini@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 16:48:49 +0100

Again, you guys battle out between yourselves and never answer the
original post...

BOED,
1>  where is the hard disk controller located?
A>  you don't really need to know, do you? :-)  All you need to know is
that all mainstream motherboards always have 2 IDE channels (primary and
secondary) to which you can attach up to 2 devices each (master and
slave), so you have a max of 4 devices in total.  A 'device' can be a
hard disk or a CD-ROM/DVD/CD-Writer or a backup device such as a tape
streamer.  There is no RAID here.

Now, there are cards available (such as from 'Promise' or 'Adaptec')
which provide you with IDE RAID.  These cards vary in the number of
'channels' and the type of RAID they support.  All have at least 2
channels, which is needed to support RAID1 (mirror).  Some larger models
have 4 or 6 channels, which allows you use RAID5.  For a better
description of RAID and the different versions, go here:
http://www.acnc.com/raid.html or here:
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RAID.html

In your case, if you want to build a low-cost Exchange server you might
look into the following hard disk configuration:

motherboard - Primary Channel
------- Master:   CD-ROM/DVD
------- Slave:     [nothing]

motherboard - Secondary Channel
------- Master:   Tape Streamer for backups
------- Slave:     [nothing]

RAID Card (eg.
http://www.promise.com/product/subsys_detail_eng.asp?pid=86
<http://www.promise.com/product/subsys_detail_eng.asp?pid=86&fid=2>
&fid=2):
Primary channel
------ Master:   Hard Disk 1
------ Slave:     [nothing]

Secondary Channel
------ Master:   Hard Disk 2
------ Slave:     [nothing]

Tertiary channel
------ Master:    Hard Disk 3
------ Slave:      [nothing]

Quartiary (?) channel
----- Master:    Hard Disk 4
------ Slave:     [nothing]

This way, you can set up a RAID1 set using Hard Disk 1 and Hard Disk 2
to store your Windows installation and the log files, and a separate
RAID1 set using Hard Disk 3 and Hard Disk 4 for the mailboxes.

As for your second question:
2. In my IDE Controller there is primary , secondary (both with master
and slave) , if I have 4 harddisks and I put them all on the IDE
Controller . Does it mean I have four different harddisk controller and
can have better performance if I put in one of them ?
The only way to introduce a bottleneck in an IDE system is by having a
CD-ROM/DVD/Tape Streamer on the same IDE channel as a hard disk.  Doing
this will slow down access to the hard-disk.  As long as you keep your
CD-ROMs and other non-hard disk devices on their own IDE channel (they
can be on the same controller card or motherboard), you won't have any
problems.

Hope this clarifies your ideas.  Let me know if you need more info.

To conclude, I would heavily recommend asking a professional for help,
since you don't seem to have very clear ideas about what you want and
how to go about doing it.  In the meantime, take Jeffrey Adzima's
suggestion to buy a few PC bits and pieces and learn by doing and
screwing.

Enjoy
Andy.

PS: for all the boasting know-alls on the list.  I KNOW and have
willingly left out a number of specifics and exceptions, so keep your
flames to yourselves.  Flooding a newcomer with all your knowledge will
only confuse the guy.... but then, that might be exactly what you're
trying to achieve, since one day a newcomer might take your job...