RE: Questions before diving in.

  • From: "Mulnick, Al" <Al.Mulnick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ExchangeList]'" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 09:08:46 -0500

I think clarification is needed.

You must have an Active Directory forest/domain to install Exchange 200x
into.  Once there, you won't be able to move it to another forest.  Since a
lot of the information is at the forest level, you will have to extend the
schema to get it to work.  That's an irreversible change to the Active
Directory and you should fully understand the implicataions prior to
deployment (it's not that big a deal, but it needs to be understood).

If you so choose, you could deploy on a single server running Active
Directory, DNS, and Exchange and be fine. You just won't be able to move it
later.  Putting a machine in the Active Directory can be done without users
using it and without sending email to it so you could still achieve your
goal of a "burn-in" period prior to putting users on it.  That's quite
common unless this is a 5.5 upgrade.  Then it's a little more involved, but
could still be done this way.

Better docs?  What did you have in mind?