RE: Questions about rebuilding an exchange server.

  • From: "Chad Roush" <croush@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:02:00 -0500

I haven't seen IIS permissions cause Exchange mailbox moves to fail.  Joining a
new server to the site and properly configuring IIS so that mail flows in and
out of the new server before moving the mailboxes and removing the old server
to me would be the most secure option.  If the install is that hosed, isn't it
possible that he would have problems restoring from the backup?

Another option would be to set all the users mailboxes to be dumped to PST
files, blow away and rebuild the server, recreate the mailboxes and import the
PST files.  There is a utility available to export the mailboxs to PST files.
I'm not sure how many mailboxes there are there, this could be a time consuming
process but should eliminate the potential of not being able to restore users
data.

Chad