[ExchangeList] Question regarding Recovery Storage Group and Exmerge

  • From: "Maglinger, Paul" <PMAGLINGER@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Exchangelist (Freelist)" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 14:07:03 -0500

Running Exchange 2003 and am wanting to pull out some old emails from
tape backup.  I understand that I can restore to the Recovery Storage
Group and use Exmerge to extract the desired emails to a pst provided
that the account exists in AD and the mailbox resides in the same
database when the tape was created.  We are looking to move our
information store from a disk array connected to an internal SCSI
controller to another group of disks connected to another newer
controller.  After I create an information store on the new disks and
move the mailboxes there, if a need arose where I needed to pull out
emails from those accounts, would it be a simple matter of just moving
the mailboxes back to the original store?

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd
be a shortage of fishing poles. - Doug Larson

Paul Maglinger, A+, CA, CCA, CET, MCSE

Systems Administrator
Shoe Carnival Inc.
(812)867-4674