[ExchangeList] Question on Error #550 5.7.1 Sender ID not permitted

  • From: "Todd Lemmiksoo" <tlemmiksoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:26:22 -0500

One of our customers e-mails was returned to them with the above error
message. I e-mailed them a DNSstuff report with this error
WARNING: One or more of your mailservers is claiming to be a host other
than what it really is (the SMTP greeting should be a 3-digit code,
followed by a space or a dash, then the host name). If your mailserver
sends out E-mail using this domain in its EHLO or HELO, your E-mail
might get blocked by anti-spam software. This is also a technical
violation of RFC821 <http://www.DNSstuff.com/pages/rfc821.htm>  4.3 (and
RFC2821 </tools/rfc.ch?detail=2821>  4.3.1). Note that the hostname
given in the SMTP greeting should have an A record pointing back to the
same server. Note that this one test may use a cached DNS record.

mariettacorp.com.s7a1.psmtp.com claims to be invalid hostname 'Postini':
Professions Code Section 17538.45 forbids use of this system for
unsolicited electronic mail advertisements. <br
/>mariettacorp.com.s7a2.psmtp.com claims to be invalid hostname
'Postini': <br /> 220 Postini ESMTP 224 y6_13_0c9 ready. CA Business and
Professions Code Section 17538.45 forbids use of this system for
unsolicited electronic mail advertisements. <br
/>mariettacorp.com.s7b1.psmtp.com claims to be invalid hostname
'Postini': <br /> 220 Postini ESMTP 224 y6_13_0c9 ready. CA Business and
Professions Code Section 17538.45 forbids use of this system for
unsolicited electronic mail advertisements. <br
/>mariettacorp.com.s7b2.psmtp.com claims to be invalid hostname
'Postini': <br /> 220 Postini ESMTP 219 y6_13_0c9 ready. CA Business and
Professions Code Section 17538.45 forbi

They called me back to say that they do not use sender ID and that my
Exchange server is configured wrong. I am running Exchange 2003 SP2,
IMF, RBL and anti-spam software on the Exchange and ISA2006 servers.
Do I have something wrong in my configuration that caused the 550 5.7.1
error.

Todd Lemmiksoo
Network Administrator

All-Mode Communications, Inc.