RE: Question concerning Exchange 2003 and the Global Catalog

  • From: "Chad Roush" <croush@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 16:44:15 -0500

John,

Thanks for your input, can you elaborate on some of the downfalls of a
2nd GC?

During the failure because I had a 2nd DC running, but no GC on that
server my users were still able to log onto the network and carry out
their work with the exeception of not being able to log onto the
Exchange server.  As far as my network is concerned, I don't am lacking
the machines and licences to setup additional servers so it would seem
that what I have done would be a sound configuration as it would be a
bad practice to only have 1 DC on my network.  If Exchange truly only
uses the copy of the GC that resides on itself, at least if the other DC
goes down I still have access to my Exchange Server.  My guess is that
if the GC on the Exchange is down the whole server would be down anyway.
At least now I can maybe eliminate the domino effect.

I do remember seeing docs that suggested NOT running the GC on an
Exchange 2000 server, but I haven't been able to locate anything on
Exchange 2003.  My question about that is how are all the SBS servers
running their GC?  I have also found notes indicating that in a singe
domain enviroment that it is possible to run without a GC at all,
although I'm sure that is not the case if you are running an Exchange
2000/2003 Server.

From what you are saying about Windows Server 2003, that would at least
allow me to remove the 2nd copy of the GC that is running on the
Exchange Server.  I do look forward to rolling out this upgrade too.

Thanks,

Chad