Re: Problems with Outlook auto-completion

  • From: Danny <nocmonkey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:39:26 -0400

What version of Outlook?

----- Original Message -----
From: Lara, Greg <glara@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:23:38 -0400
Subject: [exchangelist] Problems with Outlook auto-completion
To: "[ExchangeList]" <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 http://www.MSExchange.org/

I'm running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on Win2k. Occasionally, people in my org
move from one office to another. Each office (city) has it's own site,
so when this happens, I have to do an exmerge export and import, which
a lot of peripheral mods to keep mail flowing during the transfer,
etc. I've gotten pretty good at it.

The one glitch in the process is Outlook. The auto-complete name
feature is a problem, because when it remembers a name from the Global
Address List, it remembers the underlying X.400 address. Once a
mailbox has been moved to another server, the X.400 address for that
user (mailbox) is different. After the move, people in Outlook type
the name, it pops up but, of course, they receive an error in response
and are confused as to why. Outlook supposedly checks the names
against the address book, but that apparently does not include the
GAL, because even though I ensure that the directory is consistent
across my 28 sites, they still get an error.

My solution has been to email everyone, telling them that if they're
trying to send email to user x or include them in a meeting request,
they should select them from the GAL. This is good for covering my
a**, but it's awkward and shouldn't be necessary. I can't imagine that
organizations with tens of thousands of mailboxes do this, so why
should I?

Now, if I globally disable the auto-complete feature, people will
freak, because they rely on it constantly, so that's not an option. I
just want to know if there's some way to FORCE Outlook to check a name
against the GAL EVERY TIME it's used.

Any thoughts, Exchange wizards?

Greg Lara

 This e-mail message may contain privileged, confidential and/or
proprietary information intended only for the person(s) named. If you
are not the intended recipient, please destroy this message, and any
attachments, and notify the sender by return e-mail. If you are not
the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering the message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, disclosure or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited.