Problem backuping exchange 2000 database

  • From: "Albert Charron" <acharron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:03:16 -0500

I got a server crash last week and I had to reinstall the OS.  I
reinstalled Exchange with the /DisasterRecovery switch and installed the
service pack 3 and the following rollup patch.  I mounted my databases
(that was on another partition).  All went OK.  No user complained about
data loss.

The server is running Windows 2000 Server and Exchange 2000 standard.

Yesturday, I observed that my backups were not performing correctly.

I also got events in the event viewer:

Source ESE
EventID 474
Information Store (2264) The database page read from the file
"D:\Exchange Databases\pub1.edb" at offset 1010651136
(0x000000003c3d5000) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes failed verification due
to a page checksum mismatch.  The expected checksum was 3243529293
(0xc154544d) and the actual checksum was 3377747021 (0xc954544d).  The
read operation will fail with error -1018 (0xfffffc06).  If this
condition persists then please restore the database from a previous
backup.

For more information, click

Source ESE
eventID: 217
Information Store (2264) 49f4cee3-b33d-4342-bde0-d603d8e06a46: Error
(-1018) during backup of a database (file D:\Exchange
Databases\pub1.edb). The database will be unable to restore.

For more information, click

Source ESE
EventID: 705
Information Store (2264) Online defragmentation of database 'D:\Exchange
Databases\pub1.edb' terminated prematurely after encountering unexpected
error -1018. The next time online defragmentation is started on this
database, it will resume from the point of interruption.

For more information, click

I read on Microsoft web site that I should restore my database from a
previous backup, but since none of my recent backups are working
correctly, restoring the previous working backup will give me a data
lost, which is not acceptable.

As an alternate procedure, Microsoft article mention to use the ESEUTIL
and insinteg utilities to fix the database after moving the mailboxes to
a different server.

Is this will solve my database issue or is it preferable to create a new
database for this server (after moving the mailboxes and public
folders)?

Is there another way to fix the issue?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Albert Charron